Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Name By Any Other ...

You're probably wondering how I got the name for my blog. If you've ever read the quote by William Purkey, you probably already know. However, for those of you who are not familiar with the poem (some call it a "saying"), I've written it here for you:

"Dance like no one is watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like no one is listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth."

I honestly love this poem. I have a want and a true desire to be a person who can live like this, who can throw caution to the wind and put her past mistakes behind her, never allowing those who have hurt her influence her here and now. But can I do that? Can I truly and honest do that? Can anyone truly do that?


There are many times when I do dance like no one is watching, but only when there truly ISN'T anyone watching. And I will sing like no one is listening, when I am alone in my home, the radio volume turned up so loudly that my voice -- even when I am so passionately involved in one of my favorite songs that I sing my heart out (so to speak) -- is but a small vibration mixed somewhere in between the treble and the booming base. Love is not something I'm good at, so I'll skip that one all together.


That leaves us only with the verse that speaks of how we should "live." Well, that, my dear friends, is why I am doing this blog in the first place. I am hoping that through this, I will be able to uncover how to live, and not just be be alive, survive and walk my way through life, one day to the next.


Just a final note on the name of my blog. I wanted to have the name be simple, no characters, no dashes, nothing. However, after attempting several times to register my blog, it appears that there are numerous people who love this poem as much as I do to the point of where they have taken any and all versions of the verse except for the one I have created here. Let's hope that I can do it justice, shall we?

1 comment:

  1. I love the name and the poem, glad to see you are blogging. Hope this will be a weekly thing, if not daily. :)

    ReplyDelete